top of page
row of homes in Hampstead Village

Window replacement in conservation areas

Restrictions and strict guidelines will always come into play when it comes to works on buildings in conservation areas. At London Sash Windows & Doors we are highly experienced in this area, having repaired windows and doors for a number of properties in conservation areas throughout London.

What type of conservation area does your property fall under?

There are two types of conservation area. These are conservation areas that fall under Article 4 Preservation, and those that do not fall under Article 4.


We have provided a brief guide to what this could mean for you, and the works you wish to carry out, below.

wisteria climbing up a house wall

Conservation areas not under Article 4

Property owners in these areas will likely retain their permitted development rights, which means you should be free to replace your windows and doors provided they are in keeping with their original design.


We specialise in traditional methods and are always able to provide replacement units that retain the character and appearance of the originals.

Which Trusted Trader logo.jpg
Decorative flourish

Superb all round

I used London Sash Windows and Doors to replace some old timber sash windows. They were superb to deal with, from start to finish. The initial meeting was very efficient. They explained to me that it was not necessary to replace the complete window box, which led to a significant cost saving. The team that arrived on the day were friendly, got the job done swiftly and left my flat cleaner than when they arrived. The windows have substantially reduced noise, the flat is much warmer and my condensation issues are fixed. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend London Sash Windows and Doors to anyone


Conservation areas under Article 4 Preservation

row of typical 19th century terraced housing

Such conservation areas are regulated by the respective local authority, which means there could be further restrictions on your permitted development rights. You will need to apply for planning permission before you make any changes to your windows and doors.


We find there is often more flexibility with Article 4 areas than there is with listed buildings. However, we will always draw on our years of knowledge and experience to find a restoration solution that works perfectly for you and your local authority.

window and door furniture
Looking to replace the sash windows on a property in a conservation area? Contact London Sash Windows & Doors now on 
020 8150 7153
bottom of page